Monday 14 April 2014

Mechanicus Storm Troopers

So I settled on what to do with these distractions. The first impulse I had had upon seeing pictures of the rumored release was to think they would make great Mechanicus troops. The Legion was always going to be about themes within themes, a philosophy that has held true from the very fist models and units. The little Mechanicus Continent has grown to be one of my favorites and offers a great space to explore. Count as allied space marines, it already contains the Cyclops dread automaton and Skitari Centurions.

I've always been annoyed by the disparity between rich Mechanicus fluff, intelligent tech assassins, elite military squads and operators and then all things Mechanicus in miniature form coming across a bit lobotomized. While it fist servitors perfectly, not the shock troops of Horus Heresy books or my own imagination. 
Mechanicus being an esoteric organization that doesn't fully understand yet alone reproduce the technology it has makes for a beautiful back drop for the imagery in the grim darkness of far future!

I am going to create a unit that fits what I think would be the Warhammer 40K outcome of a technologically superior organization creating it's Speznats, bionic warrior adepts on an industrial scale. 


PS. after this assembly detour, I was back painting the Knight last knight, and will do my very best to finish it first.






7 comments:

  1. Awesome looking start on your storm troopers and I appreciate your insight into the whole design process. Now that I have been involved in Warhammer 40,000 for over 15 years, I have a very distinct vision of how the universe should be represented. And now that I am a more accomplished hobbyist I have started modifying models to fit with my thoughts of the universe. That is one of the reasons I love seeing all of your work! You too have clear visions of the universe and model your miniatures accordingly.

    Keep up the amazing work! Always an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the very thoughtful feedback. I know what you mean. It's 20+ years for me. Growing up with the hobby and forming that perspective. Design in general is about being able to zoom the furthest away for big picture down to macro detail and caring about every little thing.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, every little detail is important!

      You have any plans on modifying the hot-shot lasrifles on the storm troopers you are working on? While I really like the rifles the models come equipped with, I was a little upset they decided to not include stocks on them. I recently finished converting a plastic storm trooper and added a stock to his rifle. If interested, here is a link:
      http://betweenthebolterandme.blogspot.com/2014/04/inq28-converting-militarum-tempestus.html

      Delete
  2. That's exactly what I thought about these new miniatures.
    The baroque armour was throwing me for a while, but then when the idea hit it just screamed Mechanicus at me, but I'm not going to be able to get any for some while.
    I'm really looking forward to following this, without a doubt they'll be fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! When you do, please send me a link!

      Delete
  3. Glad to see you are back, and with your usual level of awesomeness ! Nice WIP on the AdMech Scions, the use of a Sternguard combi-flamer fits nicely !!
    But you should go back to your Knight beforehands ! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks mate! Just "finished" the knight :)

    ReplyDelete