Monday 7 April 2014

Titanic undertaking - Knightly progress report.

I've been working on the Knight every night for an hour or few and it's going to brake all records about the amount of time I've ever spent on a single model.

That's not to say I am not whole heartedly enjoying it - just feel the pressure a bit with the new Imperial Guard units (mainly the storm troopers) in transit. The Knight has been a great platform to move to more evolved airbrushing and to learn about oil paint weathering. Oil paints definitely make me excited to build some guard tanks soon, and I have 4 more on the list.  Everything else I've learned these past years, is going to be put on display herewith the aim to create a real showcase piece for the Legion project.

Last night I spent 2 hours on the decals alone. I am now roughly at the half point mark and should be able to put all of him together in a few days. That's when the real weathering and "Freeblade" narrative work begins.

Attached is a quick pic of the pale green scheme after carefully "massaging" the first layer of weathering in with oils. I should post another one after decals, the top carapace looks very cool now.

Stay tuned!





10 comments:

  1. That looks very promising! Can't wait to see what someone with your skills will do with such a titanic model.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The drab scheme looks wonderful, and really emphasizes the chevrons on the armoured cowl. It is certain to be an impressive model when it is done, well worth the time invested!

    I too am slowly assembling one. It is taking a long time to trim all the moldlines off and sand. I still have a lot of green stuff work to do to fill in seams and such, but I think it will be time well spent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit I wasn't as anal with the mold lines and what not as sometimes - like on the damn cables. I have this awesome plastic glue that leaves very little gaps though.

      Delete
  3. Good progress there! I am SO tempted to buy that kit myself.
    It just looks so cool. The white in combination with the yellow/black looks awsome already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should. Then take it to the Golden Demon :)

      Delete
  4. I really like and I am intrigued by the base colour. Of course I am looking forward to seeing this finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagine sort of egg shell green, that has been shaded in to dark straw. I think it works really well with Legion palette and the yellow, off white and black that will be also on the model. Thanks mate.

      Delete
  5. That is going to look great. Your style reminds me of military modeling, which is perfect for this kit. I hope to see oil stains on this guy as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. I've learned all the weathering tricks from military modelers. They combine really well with some of the brighter and more water colorly aspects of the legion project.

      Delete