Thursday 25 September 2014

Vlka Fenryka : The art of preparation.

It's only a week into the project that I fully realize how healthy this is and how much I needed this. Gone are the old restrictions, and I'm busy designing the new vision, new focus, and that is always a process of creation, but also elimination.

I think I will do a single model each month - part of the massive appeal of this new project. By the end of next year I will have an army of 15 warrior gods and wulfen beasts, and possibly some armor for them.

Last night I airbrushed all the base colors on the Lord and his base. Feels like cheating. Smooth as photoshop, fast as a rendering farm. I've got some new paints from spain, seen in the picture, that have simply stunning flesh tones. For somebody who has lived in the cold moonlight saturation for years and years, getting to paint a very realistic, feral, deep and vivid skin is quite a feast.

I also picked the palette last night. Seen in the picture below. And cleaned this bigger drawer that used to be for Legion paints. I will use a bunch of reds - something I almost avoided all together for Legion.

The full new back of tricks will include:

  • Airbrushing to get the overall direction of light, but the tool will not be visible at all in the finished piece. (the model air color palette is not pictured, 5 or so paints that I apply with the airbrush on Tamiya grey spray)
  • Vallejo and these new Acrylics 77 something, Tamiya acrylics applied as progressive wash like flows of highlights and shadow. 
  • Oil paints! Full on weathering techniques I learnt doing the knight. (not in the picture)
  • Enamel filters (not in the picture)
  • pihments
  • pledge and tamiya flat medium varnish to get the exact gloss (lack of where I need it)
  • combination of metallics (acrylic and enamel) left unvarnished to really get that pop.
I believe this will result to the best miniatures I've ever painted, with a style that is distinctly mine, but also a fresh combination of different influences. First results in a week or so I would estimate.



12 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing the result. It is great to be inspired by projects so I hope the momentum continues :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I just found out there is a little brake in the form of a business trip, but this kind of momentum always prevails :)

      Delete
  2. This is very exciting to watch, especially as it is something I'm also doing right now; starting a new project and utilising all that I've learned in the last year to get it the best I can do from day one. I'll be following your progress with great interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! would love to get a link to you new project!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Migsula. I've been seduced by the Horus Heresy. Feel free to stop by my blog about it any time;

      http://deusimp.blogspot.co.uk

      Delete
  3. Just finished Prospero burns and had a very strong pull to make another 13the company army. My previous one took its cues from Eye of Terror and lillosers all metal Deathwing.

    Now I can content myself with dabbling with xenos and instead follow your exploration of the Rout :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's time for me to read it again :)

      Delete
    2. Indeed! Should be perfect inspiration for this project :) Oh and you must make a skjald and thralls with creepy headgear! But the one detail I like the most is the leather masks and leatherwork in general. That imagery is very strong imo :)

      Delete
  4. Hi
    I have long been a follower of your work, and I find you a massive inspiration. While I am no where near your ability, I am trying to harness your ideas, to look on models in an artistic light. I am starting my own brand new Astartes project, as well as a Mechanicum one. With both I hope to explore a theme, and the way I am looking at my models is down to you.

    I can't wait to see the Rout grow, I will be following eagerly, ready to snatch more inspiration from your brilliant mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words sir! It's exactly this sort of feedback that makes sharing the work so worthwhile and effort. I hope the project ends up being the inspiration you describe again!

      Delete
  5. I'm really trying hard to get my hobby space and along with it my workflow in order. It's felt too much like a chore in recent times and my output and enjoyment have really suffered for it.

    I'm looking forward to see where your new direction leads, your projects are always so very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone should read more such messages.
    prostitution in London

    ReplyDelete